Family Settlement

Assisting with your family with their residency application


Client Login

Are your family still abroad?

Broadway can assist in your family's application to enter the UK

UK Family Settlement

It is a legal requirement that entry clearance must be granted prior to visa being provided to an individual in order that they may enter the UK to join a person present and settled in the UK. It is crucial that sponsors in the UK or the settled person is a genuine family member, carer or partner of the applicant.

You must meet all the requirements of the Immigration Rules at the time when you apply for settlement. If you are considering applying for settlement in the future, you should note that the Immigration Rules are subject to constant change.

Who can join me in the UK

  • Spouse/ Civil Partner
  • Fiance
  • Unmarried couple
  • Same sex partner
  • Children
  • Another family member attending the country for a bereavement
  • Grandparents
  • Any other Adult Dependant
Home Office

New Statutory Rules for UK Residence

If you already have leave to enter or remain in the UK, on the basis of being the spouse or partner of a settled person, you will need to meet the rules which came into force inJuly 2012. These include:

  • New minimum income threshold of £18,600 for sponsoring the settlement in the UK of a spouse or partner, with a higher threshold for any children also sponsored; £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child.
  • A list of factors associated with genuine and non-genuine relationships, to help UK Border Agency caseworkers to focus on these issues.
  • The probationary period of two years has now been extended to five years in order to test the genuinely of the relationship
  • Abolishing immediate settlement for the migrant spouses and partner where a couple have been living together overseas for at least 4 years, and requiring them to complete a five year probationary period
  • All applicants for settlement to pass the Life in the UK Test and present an English language speaking and listening qualification at B1 level or above of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages unless they are exempt
  • Allowing adult and elderly dependants to settle in the UK only where they can demonstrate that, as a result of age, illness or disability, they require a level of long-term personal care from a relative in the UK

It is essential that you seek legal advice if applying for family to join you in the UK. Contact our specialist Family Settlement Team.

Telephone: +44 (0)161 669 6179